Rose Lalonde God Tier Halloween


Jayn decided to be Rose Lalonde in God Tier Costume for Halloween trick or treating. The character is from the web comic, Homestuck. There seem to be some cosplayers online, who like the character and the costume, although Jayn told me that she had to explain her costume a lot to people on Halloween.

The sewing was not difficult. We had a few moments of difficulty finding the exact colors at the fabric store, and I ended up custom dyeing white cotton interlock for the hood - after working out the exact dye proportions on scraps. The leggings we bought at JC Penney - and I like them a lot. I'll be going back for more in other colors for fall/winter for me, since they go so well into boots.

Initially I tried doing an applique treatment for the sunburst, but it was too big and insufficiently detailed. The stretchy base tunic would not react well to stitching, so I tried Steam a Seam and dimensional fabric paint on the edges. This was a mistake as the fabric from the bad applique peeled off easily, but I was left with paint residue that was clearly visible, stuck fast and impervious to water.

I was almost despairing until I thought to try Best Cleaner Ever to remove the paint traces. Saved! I sprayed it on, let it sit for a little while it softened, then I could pick it away easily. I washed the tunic with detergent, rinsed and it was all gone beautifully. Love my BCE!

Then I did a more traditional freezer paper iron-on stencil and ordinary acrylic paint for the medallion and belt shapes, and everyone was happy.

We found affordable cerulean shoes, and tied ribbon around Jayn's feet. She has bleached her hair for the costume - and we are bemused at how tenacious the red is in her hair. This hair is three processes later, including a hair dye removal product. But Jayn likes it, and that is all that matters to me.

One of the great things about this costume, as compared to all the others I have made over the years, is that this is quite an adult costume, and will fit her for a long time being loose and stretchy. We have talked about the idea that she could wear it to a Comic Con - and there plenty of people would most likely recognize the character at once, cognoscenti as compared with the muggles.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern to Market Challenge - Mood Board 1